When you import a CSV file, sometimes the file does not export with First Name and Last Name in separate columns as LeadTrain requires it but only gives you the full name in one column (for example Native_Name_1, which is one field that has both Last Name and First Name all together). There is a workaround this and it just needs a little manipulation in Excel. Then you can import the CSV file into your LeadTrain account.
Note: If you have a contact name that includes three names, for example Mary Louise Smith, the name will be separated into three columns instead of two.
To separate your contacts' first and last names in Excel 2003, 2007 and 2010:
- Make sure there is an empty column directly to the right of the information you wish to split.
Note: This can be done by highlighting the column to the right of the column you wish to split, then right-clicking and choosing Insert.
- Click on the heading of the column containing your contacts' first and last names to highlight the column.
- Click Data > Text to Columns.
- In the Convert Text to Columns Wizard – Step 1 of 3 dialog box, check the Delimited option, and click Next button.
- In the Step 2 of 3 wizard, only check the Space option in the Delimiters section, and click Next button.
- Click Finish. Then you will see the full name column has been separated into First Name and Last Name columns at once.